Monday, December 23, 2019

the New Year

I think it is safe to assume that this is the last entry until after the new year.  Although it is true that I would say the same other years and then get so bored that I found myself here at the keyboard, typing away.  So we will see.

A robo call a few minutes ago.  She said she was from AT&T and when she asked me how I was doing, I said I wasn't feeling very gullible today and that she was out of luck, "Sorry!"  What a job to have!   Calling random people, hoping that someone on the other end of the phone would take the bait.  And at this time of the year!  This is why kids need to pay attention in school:  to learn that when the call starts out with a "bloop" they are not actually who they say they are.  And this is why schools need to offer classes that teach modern skills, like this, and things like how to do a budget, the perils of signing things that they don't understand,  how to shop for car insurance, and so forth.  It could be the most useful things they ever learn.  Assuming they are listening.  Teaching cursive could fit in somewhere too.

Not all my Christmases have been merry and bright.  I was thinking of my sister Marlene, 4 years older than me, and how she could bleed the fun from anything.  One Christmas I bought her towels, the nice thick ones, along with all the hand, washcloths, etc.  When she opened the gift, I was chattering away about how nice it is to get out of the shower and be able to wrap up a warm thick towel (I knew she didn't have any).  But then I noticed that she wasn't looking at me.  She was staring at my 2 kids, who each (8 or 9 years old) got $100 because Mom couldn't get out to shop in person for them.  They were saying, "wow".  Mom asked  my sister did she like the towels (which I had paid $89 at Penneys)  and she said, it looks like everyone got money but her.  I was floored.  I've gotten gifts that weren't my ideal thing, but I was still saying great thank you.  I couldn't believe that even she would act that way on Christmas!  Mom, who had the patience of a saint, told her to shut up.   She was a piece of work.  And she has passed and for me she isn't missed.

Well, this isn't a very long  post, but I wish everyone that reads this has a Happy Holiday (aka Merry Christmas) and a great New Years.  Bye!


No comments :