Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Merry merry

OK, it is Christmas Day and I am here killing time, waiting for dinner.  Yum.  The orange cinnamon  rolls this morning were delish.  The wrapper says, amount per serving, ONE!  They must be kidding, I polished off 6 myself and so did C and R.  Plus I got popcorn, toffee bark, m&ms, enough to sink the good ship Lollipop (reference for readers familiar with Shirley Temple movies).  I am using the hp computer in the blue room, and I keep trying to use a track pad, arg.  Plus all my sites are password protected, and since the MacBook Air uses a fingerprint scan (mostly) I don't actually type in a password.  Google said they would send me a code on my email account, but the email account uses a password too.  I finally got this to bring up my posts on at&t and so here we are at last.  Wish I had something to write about.

C and R liked the gifts I got for them, especially the $$ .  Money is better than gift cards which don't show how much is left on them, don't show the expiration date, have fees to use, and so on.  I put the money is a little coin pouch, didn't just stick it into a piece of wrapping paper.  I also got a hand mixer with two different blades, and a really heavy metal hand part.  I got it from...me...to me.  I had to have something to unwrap too.  Anyway, they liked the idea of gifting yourself.  Now to find a purpose  to use it.

I didn't have any trouble climbing the stairs, well, mainly.  Going back down we will have to just give it a go.  C holds me up with the gait belt, and can drag me back if I stumble.  I'm wearing my grippy socks to give me some traction.  Wish me luck.  Update:  I made it downstairs, but it was touch and go especially when I looked down to guide my feet on each stair.  Got to do better.

When I was a kid I could hardly wait for Christmas day.  Now it is hard to feel much more than a mild interest.  For one thing, if there is something I want, I just buy it.  The same is true for R and C.  So for a gift you have to find something unusual that they have not seen, or candy that will be gone in a week.  I have to do shopping online.  Just thinking about all that walking at a mall is enough to put me in a bah humbug mood.  And if I am looking for something in particular, I check out Amazon first.

The telemarketers have the day off too, yeah.  At Yankee Candle I wanted to ask about the buy one get one promotion, but when I called, the answer voice said "We are having unusually heavy calls, your call will be answered in the order in which it was received, the current wait is...one hour."  Yikes.  It seems their computers wiped themselves and they had to hand enter each order, taking forever and all of them  screaming "Where is my order?"  Fortunately I bought mine back in November, and if they send me another three candles I will be most happy.  If not, oh well.  But I won't try to call until Jan. sometime. 

The one thing I missed out on while we lived in Miami was snow.  We went to WV when I was a kid, but always in the summer.  The one year Mom drove us to the farm in December was, from my point of view, a disaster.  N and I were walking hand in hand, talking, poking among the grass for a 4 leaf clover, and Mom and my sister (who was so jealous it is a wonder she didn't turn green) and N's mom and dad, and all of them trying their best to keep us from being alone together.  It didn't work especially well, given that when N died we had been married 45 years.  So much for Mom's prediction that N would leave me after 3 months.  Anyway, it snowed some one night and in the morning the trees and plants were changed to a beautiful winterscape. And it didn't last long, but when I went to SC for fresh. and soph. years, there were lots of kids that had never seen snow.  In all, there were a lot of novel experiences those two years but god I was glad to leave them to run their bigoted, racist, holier-than-thou mind warping school behind me.  I never looked back, and I never sent them a damn dime.

Time to go...Bye!





No comments :