Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Happy New Year!

Here it is on Dec. 31 and I am not planning to do anything.  I haven't stayed up until midnight in many many years, and this year will be no different.  I do have a bottle of Asti Spumonti (sp?) in the refrigerator, but there is no chance it will be polished off tonight.  One glass is about my limit, and several of my meds say not to drink alcohol while taking them; but I figure one glass won't stun me unconscious.  Many years ago, we went to my aunt's home and had a nice dinner and TV watching for the various time zones.  My uncle, whom I now know was a dirty old man from trying to what we called French kissing back then, always had a glass of Coke and Canadian Club which he always wanted us to taste.  Like maybe one sip and I would tear my clothes off and make wild passionate love right there in the kitchen.  Or something.  He didn't make it to old age since he had Alzheimers soon after retiring.  I wouldn't ask that for anyone, gross or just friendly.  My aunt had an awful time of everything (like getting her arm broken in a fall, going to the doctor's for cast removal, and falling in his parking lot and breaking it again), she cared for Grandma until she passed at 98 y.o.  Then my uncle started getting pretty waffle-y as time went by.  Aunt N caught him turning on all the gas burners in the kitchen and then carrying a skillet full of water back down the hall.  Not to mention leaving the house and wandering the neighborhood unable to find his way back home.  At that point my aunt found a residential lady to look after him, and my aunt finally got a full night's rest.  Grandma had problems too as time went by, asking for her father, and getting dressed and trying to leave, and so forth.  My aunt finally forbid my sister from coming to see her, as she would get her all upset, and crying.  A lot of this I didn't know at the time, living on the other side of the country and too broke to fly home.  This is before credit cards became so prevalent.  So the good old days weren't all that good for us.

The Christmas decorations go down tomorrow.  I can't help without going upstairs and that would be asking for trouble.  Today I got my final package from Yankee Candle, they sent half of it before the 25th and this is the second (free) shipment.  I'll send it to R and she can give me whatever she doesn't like.  It is hard to choose a scent over the phone, the descriptions are not much help.  Citrus and pine, what would it smell like?  Guess we will find out.  The hand mixer that I gifted to myself is nice.  I just need to get upstairs and be able to stand for a while.  The ortho doctor gave me a 'script for therapy on my (uncut) leg, as it is beginning to show the effects of taking all my weight while I favor the one with the replacement knee.  I have been doing the exercises with both here at home, or I would be in even worse shape.  What fun.  But I have seen improvement, if only a bit, to keep me going twice a week.

C is making snickerdoodle cookies and the scents from the kitchen are better than any candle.  He is more precise than me, weighing out the flour and the sugar, rather than using a measuring cup or spoon.  The last batch was scrumptious sugar cookies ( and he ate most of them).  I finished off the toffee that R gave me last night; I could have eaten even more if available.  Still have chocolates to go.  From Thanksgiving to New Years is one yummy thing after another.  I will have to lose weight if I am to walk unsupported.  I won't know how I am doing since the one time I tried to weigh myself I fell.  I will just use the waist measurement to plot my loss.

Lunchtime, once the cookies are in the oven.  Of course everyone knows you burn the last batch, being busy with clean up and so forth.  It's a rule.

Bye for now!



No comments :