Sunday, December 09, 2018

Merry so far...

I bought a new sewing machine from Amazon two days ago.  My old machine was 25? or more years old, and when I tried to use it last week, it wouldn't even do a simple zig-zag stitch.  When I tried to do straight sewing, the top looked fine, but the bottom stitching looked like terry cloth.  I changed the needle, swapped the bobbin, oiled the bobbin holder after blowing all of the crud out, nothing worked.  It doesn't owe me anything, and when I got to checking out new machines, I was amazed at all the features available.  So I bought a Singer, yes I know, made in China.  It even threads the needle for you, a big advantage when you can't see the tip of the needle, much less the hole in it.  So far I have mended one pair of pants, and have two pair that will get hemmed.  Mostly I have been experimenting with the various settings, I have missed out on all the innovations through the years.  So I got my own Christmas present two weeks early.

But the really amazing thing is that I climbed 13 steps to get to the upper half of the house, so I could see the kids decorate the Christmas tree.  It is small, the big 7 foot tree is far too big to cram into the corner, and this one has twice as many lights.  If I can get up the stairs now I will be able to get up there on Christmas morning.  Of course, I was shaking like a leaf near the end, but C had hold of my gait belt, and I had hold of his hand in a death grip, so not too risky.  Climbing stairs is a lot harder than you would think, if all your bones aren't tip-top shape.

I got the doctor's OK to use pneumatic compression boots to help with the swelling, but when they faxed the script to the Home Health place, it turns out they don't carry them.  The place they said to try is an orthotic clinic with their own physicians, and when I called and left (of course) a message, no one returned my call.  So I ordered a pair from Amazon, and if they don't fit or whatever I will send them back.  They are pretty cheap, all told.  And I really don't need another doctor to use their oar to paddle my boat anymore.  I have also been doing my exercises every day, and between the two I think I may eventually mend.


No comments :