Sunday, July 11, 2021

fire place

 I should explain the photo on the post below.  Every time I try to add a footnote the rest of the posts are hidden and I am now too anxious to try just anything, for fear of deleting all the entire posts.  I did this once and I have learned not to mess with published posts.  So just pop down and I will write the caption here.

The photo is of our fireplace in "my" room, but the stuff on top isn't as cluttered that it would seem.  The US flag is the one given to me at N's informal get together at the funeral home.  I finally got it into the triangle box made for this (well, C did while I looked on ).  Still to come is the little brass label with N's name and dates engraved.  The frame is resting on the lovely wooden box containing the cremains.  I haven't figured out what to do with the flag and ashes, I will probably just leave them for the "kids" to handle.   Then there is the spider plant (faux) that hides a damaged part of the brick; brass candle sticks and a candle; a hurricane oil lamp; and a jar containing one dollar coins,( I haven't seen one used in years).  Just  efore N died he said he wanted to have his ashes buried in the veteran's cemetery in Prunytown (spelling?) but that was news to me.  I don't want to do it, so there they sit on the mantle for the last 5 years.  The black silhouette of a horse hangs over all of it.  Underneath it all is the mirror from the farmhouse fireplace, I like the idea that I look in the mirror that my great-grandmother used herself. Although she would be appalled at what the home is now.

Whew, a pretty lengthy footnote.

It is almost time for the manicure lady to come, so I will stop here for now.

I will try to find the photos of the farmhouse, one is from 1904 and one from 2004.  I have too many photos but the thought of sorting through them makes me tired before I begin.  

No comments :