Sunday, April 11, 2021

Are you the person to whom I am speaking ?


If you remember the quote in the title you are at least my age, and watched Laugh-In.  This is one of the lines of Lily Tomlin in her role as Earnestine the switchboard operator.  Way more funny than what passes as humor now.  In my opinion.

I checked on this mini-post to see if it is saved when I go to another tab, and it looks OK.  So far.  Moving right along...

When I was a teenager I saw quite a few classmates wearing makeup, while I was only using lipstick.  That is all Mom used; but my best friend, a little older, teased me to try more.  So I picked mascara, since I had really light eyelashes.  Then my friend teased me about getting mascara in my hair, here and there.  I used Nice n Easy to color my hair, but damn! it had to be done every 6 or 7 weeks.  It made my roots really dark in contrast, light brown to golden blond.  I switched to auburn a few years ago, and it made me look better. I still had to do the coloring every few weeks.  The blond shade was hard to carry into middle age, but auburn (much to my  surprise) matches my eye brows and lashes.  I worked in a lab doing electron microscopy, where one used a single eyelash glued to a wooden applicator to move the sections around to place them on a copper grid.  Every one did this, weird as it sounds.  But under the light scope the lash was clearly red.  And now I use primer, foundation, powder, blush, eyebrow pencil, eyeshadow, lipstick and  mascara.  I have an account with IPSY and they send me 5 full sized samples every month.  I now have cabinets and drawers full of cosmetics, and I have given unused makeup to my niece in KY, and to the daughter of my manicurist's.  Neither of them ever sent even a verbal Thanks! So I won't be doing that again.  I am not asking for a formal engraved thank you, but a card from WalMart is what, $2?  or so.

My best friend passed 4 years ago, and I really miss her.  I flew to FL several times to see her near the end, and she still looked great, even with the bald top.  


This is the last time I saw her, as they are taking me to the airport.


                             Beautiful Suzanne before cancer

http://www.thepastwhispers.com/train 17 edited1.jpg


The Train of Life

At birth we boarded the train and met our parents, and we believed they will always travel by our side.

However, at some station our parents will step down from the train, leaving us on this journey alone.

As time goes by other people will board the train; and they will be significant i.e. our siblings, friends, children, and even the love of your life.

Many will step down and leave a permanent vacuum; Others will go so unnoticed that we don't realize they vacated their seats.

This train ride will be full of joy, sorrow, fantasy, expectations, hellos, goodbyes, and farewells.

Success consists of having a good relationship with all passengers requiring that we give the best of ourselves.

The mystery to everyone is:  We do not know at which station we ourselves will step down.  So, we must live in the best way, love, forgive, and offer the best of who we are.

It is important to do this because when the time comes for us to step down and leave our seat empty we should leave behind beautiful memories for those who will continue to travel on the train of life.


No comments :