Friday, February 05, 2021

High?

  It's hard to use this keyboard with a bandaid on my index finger, all because of a toxic hangnail.  That's just a hangnail that's painful when bumped.  Still I will struggle on for now.

I think this is the wrong font/size again, but I am too lazy to figure out how they should be.  I use a MacBook Air, but I need to use both hands, where the Kindles let me use their keyboard with one hand which is some improvement.  Some.  I have 4 functional Kindles, two are mine and two were my husbands'.  He was always hard on gadgets, and the Kindle DX now has a 'next page' sticking key, and a very weak battery.  When I look online at the manuals, they all say the same: don't try to replace the battery.  Apparently the batteries are glued in with big gloops of heavy adhesive along with nearly everything in the case, and battery change is not a do-it-yourself project.  The keyboard can be replaced, the entire QWERTY keypad, but nothing is said about the function keys.  There is a group that takes broken Kindles, fixes them and then gives them to schools, and I plan to do that with the DX, it is the very large black and grey one, and is useful for kids that need a larger screen to read.  That will leave me with 2 second generations, one paper white and one Fire (color).  I wish I could transfer all of the books to one kindle, instead of searching through four to find the book I want.  Ah well, soon enough I will be down to 2 and then they will get donated too.  The paper white is the only one I can easily see.

Last week I had a routine appt. at the hospital, and as I started to stand up beside the car I landed another nosebleed.  I tried to hide it while pinching, I was afraid the clinic people would send me off to the ER, which I did NOT want to do.  So I was a little late for my appointment, but the nosebleed stopped.  This is only the second one I have ever had, and it surprises me how very bright the blood is.  And how hard it is to stop.

The snow from last Wednesday is pretty much gone, between the warm temps. and some rain.  We are slated to get tons of snow on Sunday the 7th but the meteorological data is usually right for the What but not the HowMuch calls.  We live on a ridge and the weather routinely parts and slides over to either side without a lot of snow or rain for us.  I can hope.  
Before they died my parents lived further from town but in a valley and they got lots of snow.  They had a garage and a paved driveway, but the driveway was steep and the snow was slippery there.  When my Dad was in the hospital for several days with a burst appendix, my Aunt from mid-state came to stay with Mom.  Just before the turn to their road there was a Quick Mart, and I would stop there and put the snow chains on the Subaru to tackle the road and the driveway.  They went every day to see 
Dad, and I took them home when visiting hours ended.  I got to where I could whip those chains on and tightened in just minutes.  After I dropped them off I stopped at the Quick Mart and took the chains off and  went home. The only tricky part of the whole process was to get the car in the garage so they didn't have to stagger through snow to go in the front door.  I would have to give the car a gun to get to the top, and then immediately stop before I hit the back wall.  I got pretty good at that too.  When I sold their house it was in the spring, and one buyer said to the other something to the effect that the driveway was steep but since it was paved they wouldn't have any trouble in the winter; to which I said *nothing*.  Caveat emptor.  

Well I've blathered on for a fair amount of reminiscing so I will stop for today.  Bye!












No comments :