Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Trivial pursuits





Yes, I know I am a *little* late for St. Patrick's day, but this is what happens when all the calendars in the house are from last year.

So life has been ticking away these last few months.  The therapy place has suggested that I take a month off and just do the at-home exercises, then see where we are.  The evaluation on Monday didn't indicate improvement over the last two months.  I feel like school has recessed and I look at my no-biweekly sessions as holidays.  I will do the exercises faithfully and see if my regime is an improvement over theirs.

I think we have finally turned the corner on winter.  Just 10 days ago we had snow squalls all day, but nothing stuck, it was so warm the previous days.  The forsythia is in bloom (if you are not familiar, it is a vivid yellow shrub  that is the first color of spring).  Soon the tulips and daffodils will be up.  We haven't planted anything new for a couple of years, but maybe this fall I can get around well enough to get some bulbs planted for a little spring decor.

I have been doing some laundry the last few days, mainly of my new things until I can feel safe in washing them together.  Almost all of the new things are "jewel" colors, rich and vibrant, the colors most prone to bleeding.  I feel good doing something other than reading and sewing; not that laundry is intrinsically interesting, but I take what I have.

I got a summons for jury duty beginning in May, and I just can't manage doing it.  I am still using my walker (and practicing with the quad cane) and I have 13 different doctors/clinics that I see at odd intervals.  I hope that my letter and a note from the ortho doctor is enough to excuse me.  I have served on juries in the past and I mostly enjoyed them.  But now I dread trying to get along so slowly I would hold everybody else up.  And of course I cannot drive now, I can't lift my right leg up to manage the pedals, and can't feel them (neuropathy) if I could.  The vehicles we have are, one for C, one for R, and the third is "mine", a P/U truck that I can't even get into, much less drive.  C drives it when he is getting supplies for the horse/barn, but that is the reason it is a 2009 GM with 12,000 miles on it.  Maybe less.  My shoer can't believe we would keep it, when we apparently don't need it, but it is paid for, and when you have to buy bales of hay or wood shavings for bedding you can't cram much in a Subaru.  Reliable, yes; spacious, no.  Anyway, to be on the jury, you call every night and if they say your name, you have to show up at the courthouse the next morning.  So it is hard to schedule around, and it goes on for 6 weeks.

I am purposely avoiding the topic of a positive mammogram.

Our neighbors are selling their house, but they don't plan to take their cat, he(?) has been there since a kitten, and he is around 10 or so.  I would guess he will become a new cat for our garage, hopefully without any fighting.  They couldn't take him unless they made him an indoor cat which apparently is not in the cards.  I hate when people abandon their pets when it is inconvenient for them, but at least they told us ahead of time.  And we have seen the last of the sub-zero weather, so he will have months to get used to coming here to be fed, and for shelter later.  They had two beagle dogs that were supposed to be in training for hunting, but the neighbor never even attempted doing that.  Those at least he gave to a a rescue org. to be re-homed.  They were nice dogs too.  Hopefully they won't spend the rest of their lives in a 12 x 12 pen.

We had another major plumbing fiasco last week, to the tune of $250+ .  I am still not sure they cured the problem, but only time will tell.  While they were working I had a call (demand) of nature, not surprising since I am taking a diuretic.  But the other two bathrooms are upstairs, and so I quickly had C help me up the stairs in jiffy-quick time.  Going up is, fortunately, a pretty safe exercise, I need to work more on going down.

The laundry is done and I have run out of trivia to write, so I'm off for today.  Bye!




No comments :