Thursday, March 13, 2014

Laundry

I hate to do laundry.

By the time I get it sorted, washed, dried, hung up or folded and put away, the dirty clothes hamper is full again.  Rinse.  Repeat.

So guess what I am doing today?

The temperature here is a stiff 15 degrees, after 55 yesterday morning.  I want to go to somewhere warm, but that would only make returning worse.  So I crank up the space heaters and sit with my knees nearly in them.  At least we finally got propane for our tank, it is used for the furnace and the stove, and the bill was $$$$ and the driver said he was about to run out and return to the gas facility to fill HIS tank next.  Next year we will be sure to top off the tank in the fall, and not have to worry about a bitter winter and running out.  If we had lost power this winter in one of the storms, I don't know what we would have done for heating; the thermostat and the fan both need electricity to make the furnace work.  I think we have a  kerosene heater we could use; otherwise, it's all of us in the local Ramada  Inn.  Including all the house cats.  Let's don't think about that.

I spent several hours reading the knitting forum, and I feel constrained somewhat from saying here on the blog what I think about various posts on the knitting site, because my signature there includes a link to here.  Just in general terms, then:  A lot of the posts are of photographs of knitted or crocheted projects, with some variety of "What do you think?" as the post.  And everyone says, wow, great, lovely, etc., often several pages of this, including requests for the pattern.  But what I think about some (not all) of them is EWWW, tuck it away from the light of day and pretend it isn't there.  And rip up the pattern too.  But of course that is too too mean, hence the Wows.  And when I read posts about how ungrateful some family member is about the amount of work it took to make, say, an afghan, that gets used for a dog bed, and so on, I think, HMMMM.  I wonder if I and the giftee have the same thought.  Anyway, I don't see the attraction of knitting in purple and orange with highlights of fuchsia,  unless it is for a dog bed.  There.  That's what I'd say if it wasn't so mean.

I personally spend a lot of time matching the pattern to the yarn.  When  I used to make some of my clothes (back in prehistoric times), I finally figured out that the best fabric and colors to use were the ones on the face of the pattern envelope.  If it was shown in solid fabric, don't make it in a floral.  I also learned that the feel of fabric is pretty irrelevant to the actual dress, because (of course!) no one goes around feeling the fabric of a dress.  Except me, and then I don't buy it if the thing itself is ugly.  And there is a lot of ugly clothing out there, believe me.  I like to shop at a super discounted store where there are returned items, product overruns, discontinued things, all for half price or less.  And so I see a lot of rejected clothing and wonder what they were smoking when the designer came up with some of these things.  Or who got the kickback.  Hit it with an ugly stick.

Well, the dryer is dinging at me, so back to laundry.

Bumper sticker for the day:  "Don't let your mind wander, it's too small to be let out on its own."

 


No comments :