Saturday, January 09, 2021

don't know much

I hope this font behaves so I can move ahead without any glitch to slow me up.  I have been trying to clear the decks here, I have virtually no empty surface to lay anything down, and when I get a niche to sort the stacks, I fill it and then end up in the same place as before my clearing.  And still things end up missing, and I HATE searching for something.  Unfortunately the missing things are usually records or receipts that cannot be duplicated.  And eventually the missing item turns up.  Eventually.

I want a printer to keep right here and not have to use the one upstairs in the blue bedroom.  It works fine, but mostly I have to duplicate a print job because I'm not certain the first time yielded a good copy.  Maybe I will ask for a printer for my birthday which is 4 or 5 weeks away.  

Of course that means I will have to clear off a space to put the printer...

When I was 17 I left home (Miami) to go to college (SC) and to be closer to N. When I see photos taken around those years I look like a babe in arms, no wonder my parents (mother) didn't want to let me choose what to do.  Still, for all their concerns we were married for 45 years, until N died in 2016.  These days that is really unbelievable, when one in two marriages end in divorce.  We were an endangered species in those days; not that everything was roses, but we didn't expect it to be; I think with modern marriages the couples think their marriage will be a half hour romance with a laugh track, like on TV.  Not to cut each other any slack, just rush to the divorce judge.  Pity.  

I got my new shower chair and took it for a test run.  It is perfect (well, as perfect as a shower chair can be ) and it felt great to get cleaned up and shampooed.  

When I was 24, N and I bought two horses and boarded them at a big facility in South San Frisco.  Right away we had problems with "Jake" and because I was a better rider than N, and it was a three day weekend, we decided to work with Jake and see if he could be more even-mannered.  Later we found he had been a stallion until the owner had him gelded, just months before we bought him.  Not a good idea.  I had barely gotten started riding when for unknown reasons, Jake began to buck.  I held on for a little bit (seconds) and then fell off.  I recognized that he was past me (so he wouldn't kick me), and then hit the ground on my back and shoulders.  I just lay there in the dirt while everyone came rushing, and I said, take the saddle off and put him in his stall, he's for sale.  Someone bought him in a few days and I never saw him again; his new owner got tossed  several times too.  N wanted me to get off the ground and I eventually did, tho I couldn't stand up straight.  I got in the car and we went home; by the time we got there I couldn't feel my legs.  N called for an ambulance (although he thought I wasn't all that hurt).  The x-rays showed two vertebrae broken, one very badly.  That was the beginning a long convalescence with total bed rest in the hospital, and then 8 weeks in a body cast, and in a back brace for 3 months.  I don't remember much of the time in the hospital, or in the first times in the cast.  I would be laying in bed looking at the doorway then someone would POP! show up beside my bed.  I never saw anyone leave either, just POOF and they would be gone.  I had some heavy-duty pain meds at first, and lots of doctors, so I never figured who was who.  One day N got me in the station wagon on a gurney and we went to the stable.  MY horse came up and gave me licks (I have never had a horse since then that did that.)  and I fed him carrots; he dribbled carrot juice in my hair.  One of the kids at the stable took care of him, he was a palomino and had to be brushed down to keep that shine.  After all was said and done, I climbed back on him months and months later, and very gingerly rode at a walk for a few minutes.  All the people at the stable were amazed.  I owned that horse for years, transported him to WV when we moved, and finally he passed at 22 y.o.  I miss him still.

I don't know what brought all of that up, I've never written it all out before, and this is a pretty short version, if you can believe it.  If you have read this far, thank you.



No comments :