Thursday, February 07, 2019

A Little Late

Whew, it has been a week since I posted here; life has been busy and the time slipped by.  I will leave this abbreviated post and fill it up later today.  Take care, the rain here is a mess, mud slides and trees uprooted, and there are huge swathes of snow still to come over a huge area of the US.

I am slowly going crazy from being confined to the bottom half of the house, being unable to climb stairs to get to the kitchen and living room.  I tell myself it is up to me to insist I want to go up the stairs (with help) but at the last moment I find an excuse to postpone the trip.  I am afraid of falling, more so on the way down than up, but both directions have to be mastered to get anything like a normal life.

Tomorrow.  For certain.  Update:  I did it with no mishaps.

On the desk in front of me is a letter tray that I bought years ago.  It is made of thick plastic, it looks like glass, heavy.  When I worked for Dr. A in his lab, he wanted something similar to use to move petri dishes in and out of the incubator without having to handle them individually.  I told him that Bob in Physiology would be able to make them from plexiglass, after the Christmas holiday.  When I returned to work, he asked about the trays, and I told him Bob had died over the holiday (truth), and I was sad because he helped us a lot when we built our first barn, and was a good guy at work for years and years.  The news made Dr. A express sorrow, but in the next breath he asked about someone else to make the trays.  I never told him he should buy letter trays to use, because he was a jerk and gave me a written letter of reprimand, blaming me for the reason his experiments failed.  This even though I found him all kinds of odds and ends that made the lab work better and worked my tail off setting his lab up.  When I got the lab safety compliance job over all the hundreds of labs, I was tickled that the radiation compliance guy found out that he was using radioactive material without a required class and then a license.   So they confiscated all the contaminated material, and *really* set his research back.  Revenge is a dish best served cold, and this had nothing to do with me, better yet.

I really like this letter tray.  I have a matching memo holder too, just the size for one petri dish.

 Amazon sent me a message about a new book due out in March by an author I like.  I would like to re-read the series while I wait.  I looked through the most favorite bookshelf and found I only had 6 and not seven of the series.  I know I read it from the synopsis online, but where did the book go?  Finally I checked my orders on Amazon, and there it was, I got it as a Kindle book.  I want it as a hardback like the others, but Amazon's price was $30!  So I went to ABE and looked at their used books and picked out one in "excellent" condition for a used book, and best of all it was only $4 and $4 for shipping.  Much better deal.  I hope it is still in OK shape.  Update:  Book looks like new, only blemish is the sticker for a library on the spine.   Mylar wrap of dustjacket is perfect, so I won't have to do it.

My lunchtime stomach alarm went off and I will wrap this up.  Peace.





No comments :