Thursday, November 13, 2014

Knitting machines

I have to admit, I am hooked on knitting machines.  I have three so far, all manual ones, and would eventually like to get an electronic one.  If these things are new

to you, here are two of mine.  The top one is very basic, just a bed of needles, each pass of the carriage knits one row in stockinette pattern.  I can select needles by hand to get a totally different result.

The second photo is of the punch card machine, which selects individual needles to knit (no need to hand manipulate needles) and it also allows for tuck stitches, fair isle, and others that I haven't figured out yet.  It also has a ribber, which I haven't unpacked yet.

Anyway, that is what keeps me busy these days (when I am not napping).  It is fun, mostly, when everything goes well.  Although I am not too fond of the fiddly bits that finish the piece off, like weaving the loose ends in...

Today it is cold here, 32 F, and I saw the first snowflakes of the winter.  I hope that it got all of that stuff out of its system and the rest of the winter will be bracingly cool and without any snow whatsoever.  I can dream, can't I?

Bumper sticker of the day:  "I haven't lost my mind.  I have a backup somewhere."



No comments :