Friday, November 16, 2018

Oh deer

Two nights ago, sitting in my bedroom facing the windows, I caught a glimpse of something moving outside quite close to the windows.  It was a herd, an actual herd, of deer.  I lost count around 8 as they moved away from the windows in a bunch.  We always have some in the yard, munching away at my ornamental plants (who would think hosta would be yummy?)  but never in such numbers.  It will be deer hunting session at Thanksgiving, but these were all does, as far as I could tell.  But hunters seeking out "good spots" for buck hunting make all the deer move around in different areas than usual.  Boy, they really move fast.  And there were a lot of deer flashing by.

We got the 4 dead trees cut down, it was quite a production.  They used a cherry picker to top the two trees growing into the power lines and then cut the trunks to fall in the yard.  The trees were huge at the base, easily a 2 feet wide stump at the ground.  It cost a lot, but I won't have to worry every time the wind blows.  The neighbor next door got his yard tracked up by the truck, where the ground was soft; then they got the truck stuck and had to pull it out with the big truck from the road.  But they raked it even and scattered grass seed and straw to mend the ruts, etc.  And they hauled every bit of the trees away, if we had put them in the burn pile it would have been quite a conflagration.

I got the photos back from The Darkroom from the 35 mm film, and boy were they bad!  Out of focus, crooked, underexposed, you name it.  You tend to delete bad photos on a digital camera right then, so the ones retained are pretty good.  You don't have that luxury with a film camera; once it is shot, it is there.  Guess my recollection of the quality of film photos was a bit too "rosy".  There is some film left in the fridge, but I really can't see me using it any time soon.  And I hated when people would look at a handful of photos and say, "you must have a really good camera"  when from this exercise with film shows the errors are from behind the camera!

And for today's trivia, did you know if you peel the thin black rubbery piece off the bottom of the stapler (Swingline, I don't know about the other brands) there is room to store more staples?  Now you can amaze all your friends during stapling sessions.

It snowed last night and this morning everything is covered in a blanket of white.  I guess winter has officially arrived, damn it.  If it only fell on the grass I wouldn't mind, it is the roads that do me in.  Maybe this will be like last year, more rain than snow, and what there was melted quickly.  I hope.  I wasn't outside last year, except for ambulance rides, so my recollections may be a little off here as well.

Time to hit the shower.  The bathroom is  a little warmer now, so I won't freeze my _____ off.

Meanwhile:


No comments :