Tuesday, November 08, 2011

November 8th




I found this in a random blog spot, and why I can't remember to include the web address, it must be because I'm getting old. Not, you see, old yet, I'm still in the "getting ready" phase.

Today's blogging prompt is, has anything traumatic ever happened to you? And my answer is yes.

When I was 24 my husband and I bought horses and boarded them at a nearby stable. We had nothing but trouble with his horse, Chacho. About a month after we bought him, we had a three day weekend, and I thought that we would ride a fair amount to see if the problem was just too little exercise. I rode first, being the better rider. I had been riding him about 20 minutes inside the fenced ring, when he began to buck. I lost my stirrups and then I pitched off over his side. I remember seeing his hoof come down, like in slow motion, near my head and thought, oh good, he is past me. Then I hit the ground. I ended up on my hands and knees, and then turned and sat down in the dirt, and then laid down. Everyone rushed over. I got to my feet but couldn't stand up straight. I got in the car and N drove me home; by the time we got there I couldn't feel my legs. Called an ambulance, and to make a long story short, I had fractured two vertebrae in my spine, and spent the next 4 weeks in a body cast, and then a brace for several months. We sold that horse and I never saw him again. So yes, pretty traumatic. I kept my horse for 14 years, he died when he was 23, and a real sweet heart. I miss him still.

So that's my trip down memory lane. I have no back pain, and no after effects at all. And I still have horses.

Thought for the day; "Conspiracy theories are bunk and probably started by the government."

1 comment :

SkippyMom said...

Wow. That is some memory lane. You were lucky you weren't killed [which I know you thought of already] whew! Doesn't sound like fun, but so glad you are okay now.