Saturday, November 12, 2011

November 12th



The horses are enjoying these nice fall days, cool, no bugs, sunshine. Actually, what they really enjoy is the new hay we've been feeding, they eat every last wisp. Willie is a little on the thin side for going into the winter. It's hard to keep a cribber like him in good flesh, but he does eat well at least. Yesterday we got the winter blankets washed. They've only been in the tack room for 8 months waiting to be laundered. Every year I swear I'll get it done right away after they come off for the season, but every year there I am in November at the laundromat washing filthy and now moldy blankets. Sigh.



This is Willie, eating as usual.

Thought for the day: "Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?"

3 comments :

SkippyMom said...

Willie is beautiful. I am sure he will be just fine. What does it mean to be a cribber? I am not much of a horse person. I love them, just don't know all the lingo. :)

Redhead said...

Hi skippy mom
Cribbing is a vice. They take hold of something (for instance the hay crib in their stalls) bite down, arch their neck, pull and swallow air. It's the air mainly that does it. Horses can't burp or vomit, their only way to get the air out is to fart. It disrupts their digestion, and they get some sort of weird pleasure in it; maybe it's like someone who constantly cracks their knuckles. I always said I'd never buy a cribber, and here I went and raised one! Horses teach it to each other, so Maybe also cribs, but not as much as Willie.

SkippyMom said...

That is fascinating Redhead. Thank you so much for explaining that in detail. I just know the kids are going to get a kick out of the description.

I hope that behavior doesn't hurt them in the long run. He is such a pretty boy.