Monday, March 22, 2021

A him-or-me-decision

 THIS story is from my friend; I guess this is the ultimatum so many couples face: but probably not just the same when a 10 year old is caught up in the drama. correction...this story was originally in the Reddit forum, Am I the As***?, as near as I can tell. "Somehow only my name showed on the adoption paperwork; OK by me.   I had to work late one night, and when I got home, Adoptee was working on the dishwasher, he looked up at me and had plainly been crying.  When I got a chance that night, I asked him what is the problem and he told me.  My GF had told him if he didn't change his ways, be cheerful and help out he could go back to the home, and other BS to him, but I gave him a hug, told him thanks for letting me know.  I went out to my GF and told her that "he" would be staying, but she was not.  I told her to pack a bag and tell me where I should ship the rest.  Does it matter how late it was, or that her folks were crosstown?  No, not to me.  I gave her cab money.  She looked like she had been pole axed.  Over rated in her value, I guess, but I regarded the boy as my brother."  

Adoptees probably feel they have to walk a thin line when conflicts arise, that they are only there at the whim of the adoption adults.  Sad, really.

Anyway I need to follow this with some amusing story.  

When our son was 3 or 4, Dad always drove the kids to the sitter's.  He was often heard using profanity as he drove, and I had been after him to tone it down when the kids were in the car.  One morning a car cut him off, and Dad drew in a breath, then let it out without any comment.  And then from the back seat, we heard this small little voice say, "Stupid bastard"  We cracked up but couldn't let on that we knew what he said.

And that's  it for now.  Enjoy!



No comments :