Sunday, August 08, 2010

Anchors a-weigh

I have joined Weight Watchers as of Friday. I think what I really need is something like wiring my jaws together, but since that isn't an option unless you break a jaw, I'll have to do this the conventional way. I won't bore you with a week-by-recount, but I will probably give myself kudos as time goes on and I actually lose significant weight. I mean, where else will I have an outlet like this??

Today I got a new Kindle from a lady who couldn't use hers for what she wanted, namely Bible study. I had to fiddle with it for a while to figure out how to do a reset, to my Amazon account instead of hers, but once done, I downloaded a book (I have been looking for) tonight in about 2 minutes, so cool. Now when I am bored and can't find anything to read, the sky is the limit, with immediate gratification. AND here is the best part -- NO extra books in the house that have to go in my ABEbooks inventory and all the storage, shipping, etc., that entails. If they had come out with this say, 35 years ago, our house would be half as full as it is now. 4,000 books take us considerable space, especially when you are trying to maintain a workable place where I can find any given book. If I can get the rare and expensive ones sold, I'll donate the rest to the local library, who surely doesn't want them either, but oh well.

We went to the cemetery today and replaced the flowers with some lovely gold mums and yellow gerber daisies. They should stay nice until late fall, when the evergreens go back in. I don't really mind doing this, it's just that 90 minute drive each way that gets me. N was going to go by himself, but I guilted myself into going too, if only to keep him company on the drive. Traffic was bad, and I took Xanax twice to keep from pushing my right foot through the floorboards -- no brake pedal on the right side, don't you know.

I haven't bought/won anything online for quite a while, but just lately I have given myself over to the dark side --- the retail therapy known as ebay, to get a few minor things. Right now I'm waiting on a pair of slippers -- I wear slippers out in next to no time, and while my current pair was new in June, I like to have a replacement pair ready for the day when They become altogether too down-trodden for me. Nothing like squashy new pink slippers on my tired old feet to give me a lift. And a cheap lift, at that.

Right now there are two loud cats crying in their high squeaky voice to let me know they want in the bedroom, but no way -- they play chase-me-chase-you all night long. I'll post their photos below:





Top=BC
Bottom=Dottie

Bumper sticker of the day: "Never test the depth of the water with both feet"

No comments :