Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Memorial Day

Well, I'm a few days late, but anyway...

We went put to flowers on the four graves in Braxton County the weekend before Memorial Day, and while we were there, we went out to the old farmhouse. I'm amazed it is still standing, it isn't safe to even enter now. Here is the "now" photo














and here is a photo taken in 1904 when the house had just been completed. The husband and wife are my greatgrandparents, and the tall boy is my grandfather.




It gives me a chill, to see how heavy the hand of Time has been, not only on the farmhouse, but on the family. Only two left of my mom's generation; the eight cousins of my generation, seven living since my sister died, mostly never see each other, except at funerals.

I'm feeling really blue tonight, I have other things to write, but not tonight.

4 comments :

Bernie said...

WOW, whilst I find these phots amazing, they are also sad as it is a closeing of an ear...
To think, what a majestic house this must have been, do you have any memories of being in there?
Here via blogexplosion tonight...

Anonymous said...

Hey Marilyn, I got to the site and found the photographs beautiful. Of course, I love the horse but I also really found the farmhouse just amazing. You write so well, your blog is really quite engaging. See you next week. Heidi

Jeremy Lowe said...

What a shame that history and such ambiance is falling down. Type of home I would love to see restored.

rddietrich said...

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it seems as though life moves too fast and occasionally we feel disconnected from our past. The photo from 1904 is a wonderful family photo.