Monday, August 02, 2010

Horse, of course

I can't recall if I have posted photos of my two horses recently, so I decided to do so here.

This is Willie, a bay gelding, about 19 years old



And this is Maybe, overo Paint mare, about 17 years old



They are brother and sister, but Maybe is WAAY smarter than Willie. This is how I know:



One day the horses were in Field "A", where there is a gate that lets them into "barn" area. But that gate is closed, (and I didn't want to open it because of a problem with the latch), and they are standing there (see the two horses?) in front of it. So in order for them to get to the barn, they needed to go from field A into field B, and then into the barn area through the open gate right next to where they are standing. Maybe figured it out right away -- the intuition that to get where she wanted to go (in the barn) she had to MOVE AWAY and then come back on the other side of the fence. But poor Willie, despite WATCHING Maybe do this, and get into the barn with her grain, he still can't figure it out, and he stands at the closed gate, screaming for Maybe to come back. I finally had to get a rope, go along the fence to the A>>B gate, and lead Willie back to the barn. Sheesh.

Anyway, that's all I've got for today, thanks for reading.

Bumper sticker of the day: "I like my minions spineless"

1 comment :

Stacey said...

That is a really cute story. I kept studying the diagram and following along with your story. Anyway, cute!