Thursday, August 05, 2010

convex photos

Two weeks ago, we drove to Charlotte NC where there is a lady who can restore a "bubble" portrait. These are photos, mostly taken in the early 1900s, which were then pressed into a convex shape directly against a piece of convex /bubble glass, to give it a 3=D effect, I guess. They are fairly common here in WV, but I don't know how popular they were elsewhere. I do know the lady who is repairing ours said that she gets these photos shipped to her from all around the world, and from the appearance in her shop I'd have to agree. The rare part, she said, is the glass piece; there is only 1 manufacturer of it and if you break one you are in for an expensive and lengthly search for a replacement.

Bumper sticker of the day: "If you knew my family you'd understand"

No comments :