Saturday, June 14, 2014

Tinker's Damn

Wonder where "Not worth a tinker's damn" came from.  I bet I can look it up on Wikipedia, but I am not motivated enough.  Actually, I'm not motivated enough to do anything at all.  I want very much to fall asleep, but three times when I have managed to drop off, I have jumped up and barfed.  For my next attempt I am going to keep a small plastic pan (you know, the ones you carry home from the hospital) beside my bed.  It only seems to happen when I lay down, so I feel fine as long as I sit up.  Hence the reason I am posting here at 3 am.

Yesterday DH and I scrubbed down the big bathroom adjoining the master bedroom, it was a mess when we started.  The linoleum floor is awful, faded and with gouges and cuts in it, I have no idea how they got there.  It looks like we have been ice skating in there, them changing into golf spike  shoes and practicing the Irish fling.  Yeah, it's that bad.  But except for that, it looks very nice, and even the floor is nice and glossy where it isn't damaged.  Now I feel like I've been rode hard and put up wet.  By tomorrow I will be needing vicodin to soothe the aches and pains.

That's the trouble with housework, you do it once and then have to do it all over again in six months.

The whole family had a nice dinner out; not quite what I had planned for a belated anniversary dinner, but it was OK, (except for my problem in the first paragraph).  We all went in the Highlander, the first time we've had all four seats filled.  I have to say it rides fine, but it feels like it is 8 feet wide, pretty much like the pickup.  Which I also do not drive.  I'll have to get N to drive to an empty  shopping center and let me get the feel of the thing.  To give you an idea, the dash displays a camera view out the back end.  That's because the back end is sooooo far away.  I have been working on my driving skills for some months, so this is a setback for me.  I don't understand why I am so tense when I drive.  Until I retired 7 years ago (at 55), I drove everywhere in my little Miata.  But gradually I drove it less and less, each time having to jump it (boo hiss) and so we sold it.  I have developed an enormous fear of driving, mine and anyone else's, to the point of being sickly and sweaty as just a front seat passenger.  I don't know why.  I should probably go back to the therapist, but someone would need to drive me there...

I am planning to get another knitting machine, a "bulky" one to use with 5 and 6 weight yarn.  The one that looks the best is owned by one of the members on the Knitters Paradise forum that I read every day, usually.  I say that, but after answering my request for information on the particular machine, I have heard....nothing.  So frustrating.

The photo above shows the burgundy swap I sent to my April/May partner.  It is hard to photograph a dark color, but the background is a burgundy apron, then a bunch of stuff here and in another photo of all that I sent.  The concept for this swap is interesting, but I withdrew because I am tired of searching for things that match that month's color.

Bumper sticker for the day:  "Dear Karma, I have a list of people that you have missed."

No comments :