Friday, September 14, 2018

Success!

I was actually able to take my first shower in many months.  I use the shower chair and have to leave the door open as it won't clear my knees once I am inside.  But I managed to get in and out myself, and it felt great to be clean all over.  Big improvement over "sponge" baths.  At the therapy gym, I walked using my quad cane for the first time for this knee.  I tried it back in July of last year, but the knee wasn't working properly from the infection, and this was so much better, making me feel solid on my feet.  There is still room for improvement, I don't want to rush and fall, so the therapists cautioned me against using the cane at home for a while yet.  I am so hopeful.

I went to the hair salon yesterday and got my hair colored and cut.  So much better, not to have that fringe of white hair all around my face, making me look old and sick.  And I got it cut really short so it won't be a frizzy mess in a month.  The only bad thing is that the stylist didn't get the very back/neck area washed, and it felt gummy once I got home.  So I showered and washed my hair and the water ran red-color for a bit of time.  I'll be more forthcoming the next time about the shampoo coverage.

I think the worst of the falling-out of my hair every time I brush it is over, and some baby hair is growing back in.  I looked online for reasons for balding in women and found that, among other things, stress, antibiotics, surgery, and poor circulation are prime causes.  That pretty much sums me up for the last year.  It isn't falling out now, knock on wood.

Here's hoping the nephrologist can treat my swelling, that is the last problem to be addressed, my feet and legs are so swollen every day all day, that I can't wear any of my shoes, only slippers that velcro together over the top of my foot.  This won't be good once winter sets in.  We lost most of our summer to the rain (yesterday it was torrential, and not from Florence yet) and it looks like there will be no fall foliage with the winds and rain ripping all the leaves off before they get a chance to turn yellow and red.  I hope there won't be serious problems from Florence here ( or anywhere if possible) there are so many streams and rivers, and homes too close to them for safety.  We live on top of a ridge, up a steep road with no guard rails, and we have our sandbags ready to go at the garage door gap; but the store shelves are stripped of water and bread and t. paper, you'd think it was Armageddon.

My posts these last months haven't been their past amusing ones, and I am at a loss as to how to fix that.  My life right now and for about the last year or more isn't very conducive to humor I'm afraid.  I hope to do better as time goes on.

Here's a bit of humor...


Here's hoping everyone stay safe and dry!

No comments :