Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Twenty-six

Not only is this the 26th post for this month, but the 255th post since I began in Oct. 2004. And how many "hits"? We won't go into that just now (ahem).

Have you noticed, how as this month drags slooooowly past, that my posts are getting more and more trivial? And shorter, too. Well, that's because I have more or less completely used up all the topics I thought would last me an entire month, and there is still a week to go. Sigh.

Ordinarily, the night before Thanksgiving I would be in a total tailspin, cooking, planning, cleaning, ironing the tablecloths, and on and on. There would be several last-minute runs to the store, and I would go to bed and get no sleep because my brain would still be fizzing away.

But that was back 10 or 15 years ago, when a typical Thanksgiving dinner was for as many as 18 people. Sadly, now there are the 4 of us, and my aunt and uncle 90 miles south of us (but they cannot manage a drive of such distance now, and then stairs inside). All the rest are, well, dead. It's startling when I look back at those occasions, and realize that in 10 years they would all be gone. I should have savored the company more and worried less about the cat fuzz on the carpet, about getting a big meal finally served, and sitting down too tired to eat. Everyone else will be done in, oh, say 20 minutes, but although I can postpone the dishes, there are still all the leftovers to be put away. I missed a lot of good conversation back then. Dammit.

So enjoy all your company tomorrow, or just settle down with a turkey frozen dinner and a good book. Sometimes the only intelligent conversations I can find are with myself.



.
.

Bumper sticker for the day: "For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism."
.
.
.

No comments :